Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Victory with Notorious B.I.G. and some cat named Puff Daddy

Actually the song is "Victory" is a song by Puff Daddy (Now known as "Diddy") that features The Notorious B.I.G. and Busta Rhymes.  The song Produced by Sean "Puff Daddy/Diddy" Combs and Steven "Stevie J" Jordan also heavily sampled the Bill Conti song "Going the Distance", which featured on the soundtrack to the movie Rocky.

Victory on my iPhone
I’ve always loved this song and listening to gets me HYPED! Jay-Z is said to listen to "Victory," before he takes the stage in huge arenas and I can see why it’s that type of song.

The whole song is great, but I guess as it should be it's actually Puffy's verse that sets the song OFF. His delivery isn't spectacular, but the lyrics coupled with Biggie’s ad libs and the rising horns set that shit OFF!
Puffy’s verse:
Yo, the sun don't shine forever
But as long as it's here then we might as well shine together
Better now than never, business before pleasure
P-Diddy and the Fam, who you know do it better?
Yeah right, no matter what, we air tight
So when you hear somethin, make sure you hear it right
Don't make a ass outta yourself, by assumin
Our music keeps you movin, what are you provin?
You know that I'm two levels above you baby
Hug me baby, I'ma make you love me baby
Talkin crazy ain't gonna get you nuthin but choked
And that jealousy is only gonna leave you broke
So the only thing left now is God for these cats
And BIG you know you too hard for these cats
I'm a wing cause I'm too smart for these cats
While they makin up facts you rakin up plats
This song is all the more poignant because this is one of the last songs that Biggie ever recorded for. Below is an excerpt from my review of the book Unbelievable: The Life, Death, and Afterlife of the Notorious B.I.G. 

  • Page 239 of 368 of Unbelievable: The Life, Death, and Afterlife of the Notorious B.I.G. 
Chapter 8: 'You're Nobody Till Somebody Kills You'. 

The chapter just stated how the last things Biggie recorded were the guest verses on 'Victory' and 'All About The Benjamins' IMO some the illest rhymes he EVER spit. THIS page starts recounting that fateful night @ the Petersen Automotive Museum. 
— Nov 27, 2011 04:15am 

RELATED
My review of the Biggie BioPic Notorious here

My review of the Biggie biography Unbelievable: The Life, Death, and Afterlife of the Notorious B.I.G. here

No comments:

Post a Comment