Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I Need To Talk About This Django Unchained

I’m a Quentin Tarantino fan. I love his scripts and directing style. I’m generally a fan of all of his movies, some more than others. 

The below sounded intriguing
Development on Django Unchained began in 2007, when Quentin Tarantino, speaking with The Daily Telegraph discussed an idea for a form of spaghetti western set in America's Deep South which he called "a southern", stating that he wanted "to do movies that deal with America's horrible past with slavery and stuff but do them like spaghetti westerns, not like big issue movies. I want to do them like they're genre films, but they deal with everything that America has never dealt with because it's ashamed of it, and other countries don't really deal with because they don't feel they have the right to".
I’m not one of the people who are mad with Tarantino’s use of the n-word. *dankshrug* people I know use the HELL out of it and his usage in the films weren't that “out of pocket” in my opinion. So all that I’ve read, I was excited to see this picture. Tarantino would be BACK—with a western! All that changed when I saw the trailer.

It’s ironic that I really liked The Help because I didn’t take it that seriously as an edict on civil rights; it was a good picture plain and simple, but I can’t help but take SLAVERY seriously. (You can read my review of The Help with an extended commentary here )
GeekScholars Movie News gave the preview an average score of "A" on an A+ to F- scale, saying, "the trailer exudes the classic Tarantino style, stringing together pithy dialogue, a sample of gorgeous cinematography, and a soundtrack that is both completely out of place yet brilliantly perfect at the same time".
I don’t know if I can take “pithy dialogue” set with a backdrop of slavery. F*ck is so pithy about that? 

Ok put all that aside, the usage of James Brown's  The Big Payback really took me aback. WTF?!

In any case, I’m still going to see the film because a trailer does not a film make and maybe in the full context it won’t be that bad.


The trailer is below

Some information from Wikipedia. Read about Django UnchainedWikipedia

The blog indiewire has more reaction to the trailer 'Django Unchained,' Unleashed: New Trailer Inspires Debate About Race and Cinema at their site here My comments are on the site Shadow & Act linked in their article as and believe me the Shadow & Act commentary is contentious

JULY 1, 2012
New 60 second TV spot which pretty much covers the same footage as the trailer above, it just adds more footage of Samuel L. Jackson and Kerry Washington

No comments:

Post a Comment