Friday, June 22, 2012

What is the "Dexter Script"?

In case you didn't know, I decided to write a new script. It’s not something I’m actually going to produce and direct. Because I know you want to know I explain more below about the

A spec script, also known as a speculative screenplay, is a non-commissioned unsolicited screenplay. It is usually written by a screenwriter who hopes to have the script optioned and eventually purchased by a producer, production company, or studio.- Wikipedia
My particular spec script is being written for an existing show. I'm not really writing the “DexterScript” to sell it. I haven't written a spec teleplay since I was in college and the shows I wrote them for are long off the air. A screenwriting professor in New York read one of those old teleplays and suggested, really TOLD me LOL, to write a newer one. Dang! 

Wikipedia states that "a teleplay is a television play, a comedy or drama written or adapted for television. The term surfaced during the 1950s with wide usage to distinguish television plays from stage plays for the theater and screenplays written for films." Basically it's a script for a television.

Those who know me know I’ve been focusing on directing and producing not exactly screenwriting in recent years. I’ve been keeping my “pen wet” so to speak by writing blog posts online. I also stay creative posting on internet social networks. If I’m posting something that’s not a reply it’s usually something I’m expressing creatively. Another reason I kind of stay away is exemplified in this quote
Being a writer is like having homework every night 
for the rest of your life—Lawrence Kasdan
I thought about it and the current show I would most like to take a hand at is Dexter. Sort of off topic, but not really, I write scripts under my full name as shown above since I won my first writing contests under that name and it is my real name. You can find more info on that linked at the end. But back to Dexter...




If you don’t know what Dexter is it is an American television drama series, which debuted on the cable network Showtime on October 1, 2006. The series centers on Dexter Morgan (Michael C. Hall, pictured above), a blood spatter pattern analyst for the Miami Metro Police Department who moonlights as a serial killer. He only kills the guilty though and usually multiple violent offenders. Basically he's a serial killer—who kills serial killers. 

Given my affection for the show and where I work I figured this would be the perfect show to write an updated teleplay for. Stay tuned for more posts about it and you can click the button below for more updates!



Related: 
Read what I said about Dexter's first five seasons here

Dexter @  Wikipedia

About my screenwriting name: What’s In A Name, Mine Specifically

No comments:

Post a Comment